5 years ago, in 2009, I stumbled upon a sales page for a “secret system” that told me I would make $500+ every day, even in my sleep.
Get started immediately? Make more money than I ever imagined possible? Learn the “secret system” that nobody else knows about?
I WAS IN!
Unfortunately, it was one of those sleazy sales pages that we see so often in the internet marketing world, and I didn’t make ANY money with their “system.”
I know… I should have used my common sense and stayed away. But hey, I didn’t even know what the term, “internet marketing” meant at the time.
Even though falling for their “system” cost me money, I consider that day a blessing.
It introduced me to the world of online marketing and ultimately led me to where I am today.
Shortly after that failure, I learned about SEO, niche sites, and Adsense. I built my first niche site and grew it to a couple hundred dollars per month within a year.
To put it lightly… I was COMPLETELY HOOKED.
I read everything I could get my hands on and learned as much as I could about SEO and building niche sites.
Since then, I’ve grown my portfolio of niche sites to a full-time income and reached my first $10,000+ month in January of last year.
All with Adsense.
Why do I love Adsense?
The #1 reason is because Adsense is about as passive as it gets when it comes to business models. Along with the freedom that working online provides, Adsense gives you that extra freedom.
I can literally take months off from doing any work on my websites and income will stay the same, or even increase some months.
That’s the beauty of working with Adsense.
There’s no management, there’s no need to show up to meetings, there’s no need to meet deadlines or deliver work to anybody… It just runs quietly behind the scenes of your website.
Of course… I wouldn’t be where I am today if I just sat back and was satisfied with the passive income my sites were bringing in each month.
I’m constantly working on growing my sites and growing my income month to month. It’s so much fun once you get the ball rolling.
What you begin to notice as you start growing your website… is that once you start building some authority to your site, it grows very rapidly from that point on.
The SEO landscape has completely changed
A few years ago, it was ridiculously easy to rank in Google. There was no sandbox for new sites, and authority sites were given no credit.
A black-hat SEO could easily launch a new site, throw up a page with 100 words of content, and bomb it with thousands of links.
Within the next week, they would find themselves ranking #1… above all the authority giants in the niche.
Life was good.
Then… Google changed. They saw what was happening to the quality of their search results.
They pivoted. Soon, every search result was being dominated by the big brands and trusted authority sites.
The thin sites? Nowhere to be seen.
Most online marketers lost all their rankings, all their traffic, and all their income INSTANTLY.
That’s the way that Google has evolved over the years.
So how do you get to a full-time income with niche sites and Adsense in the current conditions?
THAT’S what I want to go through in this lesson.
The OLD way of building niche sites
In the past, building niche sites was a fairly easy way to get to $100/month in a short amount of time. As long as you avoided big competition and went after long-tail keywords, it was easy to rank your sites quickly and get a good amount of traffic coming in.
Try using that same approach today, and I see people full of frustration.
Long-tail searches are not so easy anymore. The search results are full of authority sites no matter how small the search volumes are for the keyword.
And aside from competition, small keywords won’t get you to $10k per month. It won’t even get you to $3k per month. You can’t build a niche site around a few 500-1000 searches/month keywords and expect it to make you thousands of dollars.
Instead, we have to approach our niche sites accordingly with our goal: building a long-term, high traffic media property with sustainable rankings.
What do I mean by sustainable rankings?
I mean rankings that don’t get destroyed whenever a new Google update gets released.
Believe it or not, sites created the proper way from the beginning CAN withstand the test of time. In fact, it gets stronger as more time passes. It gets rewarded when Google updates get released instead of being demolished by them.
Let’s see what’s working now, and how we can build these web properties for ourselves.
The NEW way of building niche sites
We first have to realize just how much weight is being given to big brands and trusted authorities now.
We can build all the micro sites we want. If we don’t build any authority to it, it won’t rank. It’s just that simple. Search volume is irrelevant.
We have to move away from the mindset of:
“How can we throw up some micro sites and quickly make a couple hundred bucks?”
Is it still possible to build such a site? Absolutely.
Is it a long-term, sustainable model? No.
You have no security. You have to approach these kinds of sites knowing that they can be wiped out one day.
In 2013, I quit my day job and started working on my sites full-time. At the time, they were consistently making around $3000/month ($100/day).
But I never would have quit my job if I were building sites using “shortcuts.” Even if I was making $5000/month… if my sites weren’t built the way I’m about to teach you in this course, I couldn’t have quit.
Why? Because it would have been too risky. I know a site built in such a way wouldn’t be sustainable.
INSTEAD, we have to move towards the mindset of:
“How can we build out this site into a REAL business that makes 6 figures a year, and will be a SUSTAINABLE, LONG-TERM business model?”
The good news is that the conditions are better now than ever to do exactly that.
The people complaining that Google is dead are all complaining about one thing: spam is dead. Short cuts are dead. Quick rankings are dead.
But those looking to build real backlinks doing SEO the correct way, aiming to build a REAL business out of their sites are noticing that the possibilities look brighter than ever.
There are a few reasons for this:
1. Spam and quick rankings are dead: Remember the days when you could outrank aged authority sites by bombing thousands of links at your brand new site? Those days are gone. If you’re the one with the authority site, you won’t be frustrated by these thin competitors outranking you when they don’t deserve it.
2. Authority sites are given so much weight: They’re given more weight than ever to combat spammers. It makes sense. As Google fights to make their search results higher quality, the results are weighted toward trusted sites that have built this authority.
3. It’s easy to rank without links anymore: I don’t mean you can build a brand new site and just start ranking immediately without building any links. BUT… if you have an authority site with a good domain authority and a lot of links pointed at it, you can pump out content that immediately shoots to the top page without any link building.
Because of your site’s established authority, your “inner pages” (explained later) are given more weight than pages from other sites.
What it takes to build a site to 4-5 figures/month
One word: authority.
Growing a single authority site to $10k/month is so much easier and faster than building a batch of small niche sites that add up to $10k/month.
And this is a break down of the model we’re working towards…
The way we’re going to approach our authority sites is:
1. Target the biggest keywords in the niche.
2. Consistently build links to these pages targeting the big keywords.
3. Build out the site with inner articles.
4. Pull in tons of long-tail traffic.
5. Not right away, but eventually our rankings will rise for our big keywords.
That’s the model in the most basic description.
In the long run, this approach to building an authority site will result in the following:
1. Our site will rank for the biggest keywords in the niche, and every variation of the phrase.
2. It will have great content that people love.
3. It will have powerful links from relevant external pages/domains.
4. Because of our built authority, our inner pages targeting long-tail keywords will rank almost instantly. Our site will be given so much extra weight over our competitors.
5. We will start getting traffic to our site from tons of long-tail searches which will eventually out number the number of visitors who come in through our biggest keywords (even when we’re ranking #1).
THAT’S THE WAY THE AUTHORITY MODEL WORKS.
Benefits of using this strategy:
1. It’s sustainable and long-term. You don’t need to worry about spam updates demolishing your traffic overnight.
2. It’s passive once you build authority to the site, especially when using Adsense. I frequently take 3-4 weeks off and income stays the same or even increases. The beauty of Adsense.
3. You build a REAL business. $10k/month is a real business. We’re going to be driving a lot of traffic to our niche site and you have a lot of opportunities to grow.
4. You have an amazing valuable asset. A site making $10k/month can be sold for around $250,000-$300,000. Especially with the type of links and the amount of authority we’re going to be building to our site, that alone makes the domain extremely valuable.
In the next lesson, we’ll go over how to identify and select PROFITABLE niches that have the potential to be grown to millions of unique visitors per month, and 4-5 figures in revenue.
It’s a lot easier than you might think 😉
If you have Niche Book, read through the Finding Profitable Keywords guide before the next lesson.
If you don’t have Niche Book yet, here’s the link.